Truffled Cream of Cauliflower Soup
- 3 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsps unsalted butter
- 4 slices pancetta, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 head of cauliflower, washed and roughly chopped
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 truffle, sliced very thinly with a truffle shaver or mandolin
- 4 tbsps all-purpose flour
- 1 cup light cream
- 4 drops truffle oil
- salt and freshly ground white pepper to taste
Heat the oil and butter in a stock pot and cook the pancetta until it is crisp. Add the onion and cauliflower and cook for 10 minutes. Add the stock and half the truffle slices, bring to a boil and simmer for an additional 10 minutes. Remove from heat and cool enough to handle. Purée in a blender. Return soup to pot and heat over medium-low heat.
Mix the flour and cream until very smooth. Add to the soup very slowly, stirring constantly. Simmer for 6 to 8 minutes and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Ladle soup into six individual soup bowls and garnish with remaining truffle slices. Drizzle with a few drops of truffle oil and serve warm.