- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 cup red pepper, diced
- 2 tbsps minced garlic
- 3 tbsps Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups canned diced tomatoes
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 3 tbsps olive oil
- 1 cup peeled, deveined medium shrimp, cooked and chopped
- 1 cup smoked ham or spicy smoked sausage, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 1/2 tbsps paprika (for cajun mix)
- 2 tbsps salt (for cajun mix)
- 2 tbsps garlic powder (for cajun mix)
- 2 tbsps onion powder (for cajun mix)
- 2 tbsps cayenne (for cajun mix)
- 2 tbsps dried oregano (for cajun mix)
- 2 tbsps dried thyme (for cajun mix)
- 1 tbsp black pepper (for cajun mix)
In a 6 litre pot add olive oil. Once hot add celery, chopped onion, and minced garlic. Sweat until translucent.
Add in peppers, canned tomatoes, stock, Worcestershire sauce and 4 tbsp of your Cajun spice blend**. Add rice and cook until tender, stirring occasionally for about 15 minutes. Once rice is tender add in cut shrimp and ham (or any spicy smoked sausage in substitution).
**To make your cajun spice blend combine paprika, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne, dried oregano, dried thyme, and black pepper. This recipe uses just 4 tbsp of this spice mix and the remaining mix can be kept in an air tight container for up to one year.
Serve with an off dry or sweet Riesling.